Sunday, February 17, 2013

Saturday Mornings

I'm not quite sure how it all came about, but Ben and the kids have started a lovely new Saturday morning routine. It starts with letting me sleep in (until 8 am!), whereupon I wander out to the kitchen and find everyone in their pajamas, busily making breakfast. Henry is the resident Saturday-morning-coffee-maker, a designation of which he is quite proud.

Coffee-Maker


Violet is the batter-stirrer, either for french toast or pancakes, though I think a good deal of her job consists of dipping her fingers in the batter and then licking them.

Batter-Stirrer
  

Ben works on the bacon and hash browns and getting food on everyone's plate. As the first french toast pieces come off the griddle, we sit down to enjoy the meal, usually with seconds or thirds all around. It's a sweet, if somewhat chaotic, way to start the weekend with my family. I'm filled with love and appreciation for them each time.

Saturday morning


If you're looking for an allergen-friendly french toast recipe, this Classic French Toast recipe from the Food Allergy Mama blog is our favorite. We always make it dairy- and egg-free and have tried it gluten-free also. Delicious results every time! The key when dipping the bread is to be quick; leaving it in too long will make the french toast soggy.

4 comments:

  1. Alan always made pancakes for the kids and I. During the last snow storm, I asked him to make them for Kay and I and he did! Soon he'll make them for his grandson born last Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations on the grandson! I love that the tradition is continuing to the next generation. Your family is so awesome, and I hope our family will stay as close as yours is in the future!

      Delete
  2. Love it!!! I used to make French toast on Sundays before church when we were kid-less in Chicago. :)

    ReplyDelete