Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Spring Dreaming

The weather has been lovely this week: bright, sunny, and 70. It's practically impossible to stay inside on such days. The kids have pulled out their bikes and are dreaming of bike rides to the park (I think Violet needs a little more practice at not tipping off the tricycle before we venture from the driveway).




I've also put the kids to work, washing away the dirt and dust of wintertime in anticipation of spring days spent outdoors. Henry and Violet are such diligent workers, especially when soap, water, and scrubbing are involved.




I have big plans for the backyard and garden this year, including building a giant sandpit to dig and play around in. And we've bought the materials to build a greenhouse using PVC pipes and heavy-duty plastic sheeting. And hopefully I can talk Ben into a few more projects, like building window boxes, and reseeding the lawn with actual GRASS, and spray-painting the patio table yellow, and planting some perennials, and digging up the yucca plant (it'll take your eye out!). Oh, and maybe growing some tomatoes and peppers in a raised bed. And maybe some little cucumbers so we can make our own pickles! So much to do... :)

4 comments:

  1. Yea! Another blog post! Love the pic of Violet in her little bike helmet - cute!

    I feel like maybe we had this conversation before . . . maybe last summer? About yuccas, I mean. But, anyway . . . had to share this :) -- http://american-family.org/2007/08/02/how-to-kill-a-yucca-plant/

    Oh, and please excuse the (ahem) rather dreadful language at the end of that writer's post. But it's still so funny. Ha!

    Anyway, sounds like you guys have lots of fun projects in mind! Can't wait to see how the greenhouse turns out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are having spring in our corner of the Rocky Mountains too! Such a gorgeous week...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kris mowed the lawn for the first time today - Spring is here too! I love your gardening plans. I need to get some raspberries started. They are so expensive to buy! I hope I can grow some! Hope you keep us updated. ;) Love to see what you're up to!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha, Cari, I hadn't read that before! I know that I chopped up a bunch of the yucca last year, but it's already grown back. And Spring hasn't even offically started yet!

    Julia-I agree, it is a gorgeous week!

    Colleen-I think your spring has ours beat. I love how everything there is green without any effort. And I hope your raspberry planting goes well this summer and you end up with lots of jam and raspberries for ice cream :)

    ReplyDelete