Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Done is Better than Perfect

Hello again! It's been a while since I've been here. I actually think about posting here frequently, though my priorities have been elsewhere and time for blogging has been neglected. It's hard to start up again without feeling overwhelmed about all of the posts I've missed. However, in the spirit of "Done is Better than Perfect" (thanks, Pinterest, for the push), here is a short post on a small bit of an afternoon from last month. I will try my best to keep up in the future :)

Henry and I spent some time investigating melting and freezing, using a lesson from Science is Simple as a guide. We talked about the different phases of water and how adding or removing heat can cause the phase to change. We also played with model icebergs in a tub of water until our hands were numb from water that became increasingly icy as the icebergs melted.

Science play

Model icebergs

We talked about melting and freezing different substances: chocolate chips, wax, and lava rocks. We attempted to melt chocolate chips using our own body heat, but our hands were so cold from the ice bath that neither of us could melt one, even after doing jumping jacks until we were out of breath. Melting and hardening wax provided a much better example, with the bonus of requiring a flame.

Melting candles for fun

We finally took a lighter to a piece of lava rock (pumice, actually) to see if we could melt it and discovered-to Henry's disappointment-that the melting point of lava rock is much higher than the flame produced by the lighter. The next step, of course, was to watch YouTube videos of exploding volcanoes and molten lava, which eventually turned into Henry playing video games on PBSkids.org, and that was the end of our science lesson. However, when I later asked Henry if I should use hot or cold water to wash the wax off of the plate, he thought for a few seconds, then told me to use hot water to help the wax melt. He's learning!

(Note: I picked to blog about this particular afternoon mostly because I had the pictures, but also because I'm interested in exploring science education in the home. This blog is good practice!).

3 comments:

  1. So cool! You're a fun mom! Love little Violet peeking at the flame from the background. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very fun! That's such a great learning activity! So, do you really like that "Science is Simple" book? Have you used it quite a bit? It would be fun to get a book like that for our little ones, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Colleen-Yeah, the kids loved the flame! They were fascinated.

    Cari-We've just started using the book, but so far I like it. I particularly like how the activities for each topic build on each other to teach a single lesson. Maybe I'll write a book review sometime!

    ReplyDelete